Not a silent but (perhaps) less irritating year
Three years of Corona pandemic came along and except for China not many countries seem still to worry.
In Europe, something very different from a Coronavirus has caught our attention. The danger is that this virus could spread and kill many more people than Corona did.
It is about the Putin virus or Russian disease as Trump might start calling it.
Just as a lot of fake news came our way during the Trump era, a lot of work had to be done in recent years to ‘debunk’ those misleading or deceptive reports.
You might think that here on this site with the name “Stepping toes” would be the ideal place to strip such disseminated falsehoods or lie talk of credibility. People like to sell talking points, and in recent years it seemed to have become a sport to send as many falsehoods into the world as possible. But to counter the many false messages posted on social media, this site was actually not originally planned.
Last year may have reached the pinnacle of fake message spreading. It could not go on any longer. Something had to be done to restore honour to journalism and bring correct messages to the world.
Young people were increasingly reaching for their smartphones with all kinds of apps to follow Facebook and Instagram posts, as if they could get the very best news there. But correct messaging was far from there. Social media won out over the daily and weekly newspapers that lost out, raising the question of whether there was still a possibility of life for serious journalism.
While newspapers were under pressure and many wondered how to survive this resort to social media, blogs also came under fire. Google and WordPress thought no better of changing their systems. At Blogger, it made a lot of bloggers tired of the difficulties in the system and took refuge elsewhere. Thus, I too decided to take refuge in the WordPress that was familiar to me with the old editor, hoping that WordPress would not force everyone to have to use the hideous block editor (introduced in 2018) (because it is really totally impractical for free writing and design).
Converting all the Google sites to the new system took a lot of time, so there have been somewhat fewer articles on my WordPress sites over the last two years, except for this year at my newcomer.
It is for that newcomer that I would like to draw your attention today.
The format of that new WordPress site is not really new, as the newcomer is actually a continuation of the former Blogspot sites “Christadelphian World” and “Our World“. The only difference now is actually a result of an easier form of writing and shaping for publishing or publishing articles. Because this is now much easier than Blogspot, I can now provide more articles at the same time.
As the title for the site, I chose “Some View on the World” or “Enige Kijk op de Wereld” because the site wants to give a view of what is happening in the world, while also giving more clarity on certain facts.
In the first year of its new form, it has been a bit of a search to find a way to leave enough time for my other Christian websites, while still being able to provide a balanced news overview that can be relied upon to be verified reporting and thus present accurate facts to the reader.
I believe I now know roughly how to tackle it for 2023 and hope that with my outline I can attract enough readers to further follow the links provided in the articles as well.
I do hope still to provide a day-to-day events review, and do hope people will find it useful.
I shall continue to try to offer ideas and context and depth, as well as information: a combination of clarity (the facts to help you understand the world) and imagination (the ideas you need to build a better one).
This better world that needs to be worked on is extremely important. We must realise that it is not ‘five to twelve’, but that the hands have long been moving in the wrong direction and that the earth is crying out loudly for support. For far too long, we have neglected the earth and been careless with its resources. Now we have to bear the consequences. Global warming is a fact, although many still do not want to acknowledge it. On “Some View on the World” we do want to pay attention to that earth which we have been given on loan by the Creator. Indeed, it is high time we took our responsibility and took steps to address that climate change.
We don’t particularly want to tread on toes on that “new site”, but we do want to regularly draw attention to those issues that really should get our attention.
In a way, I also hope to have caught your attention and made you warm to go and take a look at that news site (or online newspaper) and (who knows) subscribe there too to be kept informed of new articles.
Be welcome to “Some View on the World”.
- Lots of news demanding attention
- Texts, writers, accesibility and willingness
- Thoughts tinged with triviality
- For those who call the Brussels Airport attacks a fake or a conspiracy of the government
- At the closing hours of 2016 #2 Low but also highlights
- International Women’s Day 2019
- 2021 in review #1 the most startling point
- Conspiracy theories in plenty-fold
- Entering 2022 still Aiming for a society without exploitation or oppression
- Putin speaks plainly – and the West is speechless
- Written-down thoughts
- Eyes on pages and messages on social media
- Gossip and fake news, opposite fact checking and facts presenting
- Study Guide: Definition of Journalism
- Safeguarding freedom of expression
- Identifying Journalism
- News that’s fit to print
- Newspapers: Dying or Changing
- The End of Journalism
- Why social media presence matters in journalism
- Traditional News Turns into The Journalism We Know Now
- The First Great Information War
- Lies for Likes
- The Ever-Evolving Industry of Journalism: its Quest to Survive in a Digital World
- How to save Journalism in 2022
- Mississippi journalists discuss the evolution of daily newspapers
- Newspapers: Dying or Changing
- Journalism under attack
- What do we know about the future of journalism?
- Looking for Free Blogs and blogging
- WordPress appears to have fallen off its best horse
- A Classic Editor versus Block Editor
- From old times and sites to new linkings
- Joseph Pulitzer’s Retirement Speech & The Traits of Journalism
- Change of name
- New Name a fact
- Newly added pages to Our World
- Our World on Blogger coming to its end
- My faith and hope
- Presenting views from different sources
- Weekly World Watch (WWW) looking at a few key developments that have happened during the past week
- Invitation to renew connection
- Invitation to the news platform that brings a view of the world
Pingback: The hourglass of this world – Some View on the World
Pingback: After much human suffering in 2022 – Getting off the ground in 2023 – Worldviewer