According to Catholic Catechism, the Catholic Church professes to be the “sole Church of Christ,” and that all duly consecrated bishops have a lineal succession from the twelve Apostles. In particular, the Bishop of Rome (the Pope), is considered the successor to the Apostle Peter, from whom the Pope (so called) derives his supremacy over the Church. There are also other Christian groups that make similar claims, but does God recognize any of these as His representative on earth?
When Christ established the early church through the Apostles, there were no complex ceremonies, no large structures, no soaring columns made of marble, no choir lofts and costly statues. There were only small gatherings in humble homes where his followers met together to study his words and the inspired words of his Apostles. Their example of the “simplicity that is in Christ” was meant to be a template or pattern for future gatherings of the church to follow throughout the Christian Age. 2 Corinthians 11:2, 3
This subject should be approached prayerfully and honestly. If there was but one church in the beginning, established by our Lord, there should be but the one church in the end – the faithful church triumphant in glory. Colossians 3:4
- Religions and Mainliners
- Getting out of the dark corners of this world
- Scepticals of the Bible
- Signs of the times – As the Day approaches
- 25 Orthodox rabbis issued a statement on Christianity
- Youngsters, parents and the search to root in life
- A new decade, To open the eyes to get a right view
Further related articles
- Why I am NOT a catholic! / Waarom ik geen katholiek ben!
- The Dislike of Catholicism: Understanding the Holy in the Catholic Tradition – 5 – Psychological reasons
- Who belongs to the Catholic Church?
- “The Intimate. Polity and the Catholic Church” (Dobbelaere, Pérez-Agote, ed.)
- The Proper Response to the Crisis in the Catholic Church: Give the Laity a Role in the Appointment and Removal of Diocesan Bishops
- Religion and Young People: The Lost Generation?
- What is the urge to follow the Spirituality?
- My journey of faith
- Public Preaching and a Very British Dilemma
- Mary worshipped as a God?
- Trinity: The Truth about Matthew 28:19 & 1 John 5:7
- The Sabbath Principle in Modern Life